Data Protection and Freedom of Information for Local Councils
COURSE TUTOR: Bill Walker, Walker Associates
This 3 hour workshop is intended to give local council clerks and councillors an insight into the issues and challenges that they face in terms meeting the requirements of both pieces of legislation.
The Data Protection Act requires Councils to comply with a set of best practice standards, but how do you balance compliance against a pragmatic approach? The Freedom of Information Act provides the public with greater transparency in the operation of "Public Authorities", which includes all Local (Town and Parish) Councils. This workshop explores DPA and FOI and gives practical advice so that attendees can feel confident about complying with these acts. Topics include:
- a reminder of the key principles of the Data Protection Act
- collecting, processing and storing personal data
- controlling access to personal data
- a pragmatic approach to compliance
- information that is covered by the Freedom of Information Act
- producing a 2009 Freedom of Information publication scheme
- handling requests to view information
- exemptions and the "Public Interest Test"
£35 per delegate (member rate)
£110 per delegate (non member rate)
10th October 2013, 10am - 1pm
Jubilee Hall, Anstey