About Winthrop Gardens
Winthrop Gardens is a one-acre Community Gardens at the end of Second Lane, off Morthen Rd. In the ownership of Wickersley Parish Council since 2016, the governance of the Gardens is undertaken through a sub Committee of the Parish Council.
In addition to the Gardens, which have been designed for peace and tranquillity, Winthrop includes welcoming Tea Rooms, Plant Sales and a Curiosity Corner. Winthrop is an inclusive site which is accessible to all and wheelchair friendly throughout.
The Winthrop ethos is very much about extending the warmest of welcomes to those who need that extra little bit of friendship and support.
'Nellie' the Winthrop elephant
Winthrop Gardens website
Winthrop Gardens is open to the public as follows:-
• Winter – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 11am and 3pm
• Summer – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 10.30am and 4.00pm
The 'Red Wall' at Winthrop
Other regular activities at Winthrop Gardens
There are a wide range of regular activities and 'Special Events' at Winthrop Gardens
- a monthly 'Memory Café' for people living with dementia and their carers on the first Friday of the month;
- 'Flossies Crafts' every Tuesday morning – a lovely group, led by volunteer Dawne, tackling a new craft activity each week - www.facebook.com/FlossiesCrafting;
- a weekly walking group which meet at Winthrop each Wednesday;
- a twice monthly 'Activity Group' run by the Alzheimer's Society for people living with dementia held on Fridays;
- as well as a range of classes run by U3A including Italian and Gardening and a twice monthly 'Rekhi Share'.
There are always different events happening at Winthrop – Supper Nights; Afternoon Teas; Garden Talks and Tours; the now Annual 'Great Winthrop Bake Off'; 'Ladies Day'; Yorkshire Day and Festive Afternoon Teas in the run up to Christmas are just some examples.
Volunteering at Winthrop Gardens
Run by a team of 60+ volunteers Winthrop offers a range of volunteering opportunities – particularly in the Gardens and Tea Rooms. We are always on the look out for new volunteers to support an expanding and busy community enterprise and welcome enquiries via the Winthrop Organiser.
Winthrop Gardens stays in touch with volunteers, customers and friends via a regular e-newsletter which anyone interested is encouraged to sign up for.
How to find Winthrop Gardens
Address - Winthrop Gardens, Second Lane, off Morthen Rd, Wickersley S66 1EE
Using a Sat Nav - some people have found difficulty locating Winthrop Gardens using a Sat Nav
There are lots of public footpaths which pass Winthrop and there is a lovely walk down through Wickersley Woods
There is a bus stop on Morthen Rd at the end of Second Lane. The buses to Thurcroft No's 19, 19A and 19B stop here
At Wickersley roundabout go down Morthen Rd (Sp to Thurcroft).
After 'six speedbumps' and by the bus stop turn down Second Lane. You pass a new housing development and drive through a couple of fields before arriving at Winthrop
How to contact Winthrop Gardens
Anna Chester manages the Winthrop operation on behalf of the Parish Council. She supports the team of 60+ volunteers in the Gardens and Tea Rooms