Village History and Local Information
Wickersley is a village with a very interesting and rich historical background, dating from the 13th century. The history of Wickersley is very reflective of the history of the country - farming, then quarrying as a local industry growing from an abundance of suitable local stone. The growth of transport, housing, services and utilities to serve a growing population again mirror similar developments elsewhere.
This section of the website is broken down into different pages for the various aspects of Local History' to make it easier to find particular areas of interest.
The Parish Council would be delighted if people have additional information, local and family stories and photographs to contribute. Working together we can build a formidable history of our great village.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickersley like this:
WICKERSLEY, a parish, with a village, in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3¾ miles E by S of Rotherham r. station. It has a post-office under Rotherham. Acres, 1,230. Real property, £2,672; of which £199 are in quarries. Pop., 709. Houses, 148.
Wickersley Hall is the seat of Dr. H. Yates. The quarries here furnish grindstones for the Sheffield cutlers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. J. Cox. The church was rebuilt in 1834. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £7.