Who we are
Wickersley Community Centre
About The Parish Council
Wickersley Parish Council serves the civil Parish of Wickersley, which has a population of around 8,000 people living in 3,200 residential properties. The Council has sixteen members, elected by residents, and represents the first tier of local government in Rotherham. Parish Councillors receive no payment.
Council meetings are held in the new Community Centre on Bawtry Road on the third Monday of each month at 7.00 p.m, apart from the month of August. There is also a meeting of Parishioners (the Annual Assembly of the Parish Meeting) held in May each year. Other Public Meetings are held to discuss particular matters as and when they arise.
Parishioners are encouraged to attend Council Meetings and are permitted limited discussion. Notices of meetings are placed on Parish Notice Boards at the Community Centre and on this website
For further information relating to the services offered by the Parish Council please contact the Parish Clerk who will be happy to give advice and assistance.
What we do
What do we do?
The Parish Council duties include: The ownership and/or the management of numerous facilities around Wickersley, for the benefit of residents, including:
- Wickersley Community Centre and Library (set up in 2008 by the Parish Council and managed by Wickersley Community Centre Association on our behalf)
- Wickersley Park recreation ground, off Warren Road
- Bob Mason Recreation Ground (including management of the sports pavilion and football pitches), off Sorby Way
- Wickersley Wood, off Wood Lane – for which we have won a national award for best kept woodland.
- Wickersley Gorse, off Air Mount Close – Wickersley's best kept secret – wood and gorse land with superb views over Sheffield
- Winthrop Gardens - a one acre Community Garden located at the end of Second Lane
- Wickersley Bowling Club, off Warren Road (contact the Bowling Club Secretary on 01709 541818)
- Wickersley Allotments, off Second Lane (contact the Allotments Secretary on 01709 543872)
- Flower/shrub beds at numerous locations around Wickersley, including railing planters and hanging baskets on Bawtry Road
- Tanyard Public Toilets, and the cleaning/gritting/sweeping of the Tanyard Shopping Centre grounds, on behalf of the owners
- Maintaining 26 seating benches around the parish!
- Reviewing and commenting on planning applications within the Wickersley area
- Organising regular events in Wickersley (see calendar on this website)
- Liaising with relevant authorities regarding infrastructure, policing, consultations and community issues to represent your views and get the best advantage for Wickersley
- Engaging with all interested parties regarding current and future shape of life in the local area
Our councillors are elected or co-opted, if you would like to become a councillor or find out more about what they do then please contact the Clerk to the Council.
Wickersley Parish Council Standing Orders
We have a Clerk to the Parish Council to deliver the range of services. She can be contacted by phone or email.
To support the work of the Clerk, we also have 2 Assistant Clerks based at the Community Centre and the Organiser of Winthrop Gardens based at the Gardens.
All the above personnel work on a part time basis.
Carol J Lavell
Carol J Lavell -Parish Clerk and Responsible Finance Officer
- Wickersley Parish Council
Wickersley Community Centre & Library
286 Bawtry Road, Wickersley
- 01709 703270