The History of Weston Rhyn
Ruabon has a rich and interesting history and we would like to include as much information as possible on the website for all to enjoy. If you have any interesting stories, information or photographs please get in touch. Often this kind of material lies unseen in attics and garages for generations and this would be an opportunity to share it.
- Maes-y-Llan Primary School was built in 1911 and was then known as Ruabon Council School. There was a School House, garden and orchard which is now the 'Forest School'.
- The Parish Hall, which was situated where the car park is at present, housed a cinema, library and stage for local amateur dramatics or public speaking. This was demolished in 1974.
- The Old Police Station was built in 1896; it contained a police house and courtroom. This building was in use as a police station until 1967.
- Wynnville and New Hall Road, are the oldest part of the council estate, built in about 1928.
- The houses at Tai Clawdd were built by the Yorke family for the workers at Erddig in 1886. Squire Phillip Yorke spent the last years of his life in one of these Victorian houses in Tai Clawdd after donating Erddig Hall to the National Trust.
- Wynnstay Hotel was built in 1875. This was an old coaching inn.
- The old St Mary's Church School was built around 1847. This was demolished when the present school and community centre were built in 1976.
- The Archway to the Park Gates was built in 1770 and the present gates were a gift from the people of Ruabon to a member of the Williams Wynne Family in 1912.
- The Goat Bank area used to be used for markets and fairs and behind the congregational club there was a slaughterhouse.
- The Boundary Wall to the St Mary's Church grounds was set back to widen the road circa 1970 and the grave stones and other relics were then moved to the Garden of Rest.
- The Roundhouse or 'Old Clink' was built during the 18th Century and used as a lock-up.
- Ruabon Railway Station and the Stationmaster's House dates from 1858
- The Congregational Chapel was built in 1848 and is known as 'The Chapel on the Hill'.
Mount Pleasant Congregational Chapel built in 1848. Known as 'The Chapel on the Hill'
The Colliery Half Wheel 2011-2012
These photos are of the miners' half wheel, which is on permanent loan from Bersham Colliery. They show its collection from Bersham; delivery to Northalls Wrought Iron Design for its renovation and installation on the traffic island at the entrance to Ruabon.
The wall, which is hiding the staves, is built in reclaimed, world renowned Ruabon red brick. The sign on entering the village reads: "Rhiwabon" and on leaving "Ruabon".
The idea for this monument, to mark Ruabon's connection with coal mining, was the inspiration of Barrie Price, who was not only a Ruabon Community Councillor but also a Wrexham County Councillor for Ruabon. Sadly, Barrie died suddenly in 2011, before the completion of this project. At the request of his widow Elaine, Ruabon Community Council carried the project forward to its completion.