Skip To Main Content

Working with the Community since 1894

Redbourn Common

Redbourn Common is a very large area of open space in the middle of the village located between the High Street with the old village centre at Church End.

Redbourners today are very proud of our magnificient common and throughout history it has been a very important part of village life. Up until the early 20th century it was used as grazing for sheep and goats, geese and duck roamed freely and people hung their washing there to dry. It was also not uncommon to see horses enjoying the rich grass.

Nowadays it is still used daily by dog walkers, joggers, cyclists and by children and families playing football and enjoying the play equipment in the East Common play area. In the summer it is a regular venue for picnics and weekly matches on the cricket pitch.

Since the 1930s we have lost 97% of our wildflower meadows as a result of large areas of land being developed for housing and changes in farming practices. This makes wildflower meadows like ours on the Common one of the rarest habitats in the UK. Losing our wildflowers has a real impact on the food we eat as they provide shelter and food for important pollinators like bees which play a vital part in supporting the ecosystem.

Our wildflower meadow in Redbourn is currently home to harebells, cow parsley, thistles and yellow rattle. The latter being particularly significant as over time it suppresses grass growth thus encouraging a wider range of new and varied wild flowers to develop over following years. This in turn means more diversity attracting more bees, butterflies, birds, animals and other insects.