Serving the people of Long Ashton & Leigh Woods

  • New Website Coming Soon...

WEST Horrington, Somerset (Hornningdun, 1065 'horn-shaped hill')

Find out about West Horrington today:

On Facebook - West Horrington and The Horringtons Community Group

picture showing West Horrington's elevated cottages

Looking upwards from the corner of Kingdom, West Horrington.

What is now West Horrington was originally two separate hamlets. West Horrington was the eastern end of the current village and, at the western end, was the semi-detached hamlet of Hill End. The housing that now links the two parts was all built after WW2. The western end was probably a farming community, and Hill End was a mining community - one of the houses has a typical Cornish (curved, external) chimney, and suggests that a Cornish miner had moved there.

In Biddle Combe there is a round stone 'buddle house', a rare example, where the heavy lead ore was separated from other material.

There are the remains of a lime kiln in a small quarry to the east of the village, which was probably the source of the stone and lime used to build the older houses in the village.

Part of the hillside in Biddle Combe was known as 'washing pool allotments' in the 19th century and, in a dog leg in the stream, there is a section which has had flagstones laid and a dry stone walled sheepfold nearby suggests that this was possibly used to wash sheep before shearing.

(Courtesy of David Pardey.)

The Somerset HER also identifies a Roman settlement and possible windmill mound opposite The Old Police Station on the Bath Road. Below Horrington Primary School, once stood the 18th century Brown's Gate (Wells) to White Post (Chilcompton) Turnpike, now the B3139,

William Catcott, the Baker Bard of Wells

Last updated: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 15:27