Long Ashton is a village in North Somerset, close to Bristol. It has a population of just over 6,000, with the parish including Leigh Woods and the nearby hamlet of Yanley. The area is known for its green areas, woods and open spaces that give it a country feel despite being so close to Bristol.
The village was originally built on the slopes of a valley, on the south-facing side that runs east to west. Long Ashton originated in Saxon times, although it is also true that both prehistoric and Roman artefacts have been unearthed in the area, particularly at the site of the Gatcombe Roman Settlement.
The name 'Long Ashton' derives from two waterways the village is close to, one being the Longmoor Brook and the other being the Ashton Brook, thus Long Ashton was formed as a combination of the two. The Domesday Book, compiled by order of William the Conqueror and completed in 1086, records the village name as 'Estune', which purportedly means 'the place by the ash tree'.