Gloucestershire Association of Parish & Town Councils
Who we are
Gloucestershire Clerks and Councillors - this is your website.
We are the organisation financed by subscriptions from member councils to support, advise and train them to represent their communities to the best of their abilities. Almost all the parish and town councils and parish meetings in Gloucestershire are members. Our services are for member councils only.
Our specialist field is in town and parish council law and procedures, but we can advise or signpost on a wide range of issues, including employment matters, financial controls, allotments, burial grounds, village greens and risk management.
We also have a role in representing our member councils at national level. We have a direct link to the National Association of Local Councils which lobbies national government on our behalf.
Chief Officer: Alison Robinson
What we do (Member Benefits)
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU
- advice on Town and Parish Council law and procedures, through the website and by contacting the office – the fundamentals to keep a council legal in its activities and engaged with its community in a way that helps to pre-empt unpleasant situations arising
- training for Councillors and Clerks, either through courses open to all, or specifically requested by a council for its members
- coaching for CiLCA, the clerks' professional qualification
- the latest information and guidance from government and other authorities
- a comprehensive website with legal advice on specific topics; job vacancies; model documents; and essential guides to good practice
- signposting and advice on specialist subjects including employment matters; allotments; grants; village halls; VAT; and burial grounds
- support to councils undergoing difficult times by providing unbiased advice and list of locum clerks willing to support councils
- loan application processing
- the opportunity for clerks to network at courses and for councillors to network on courses and at the AGM
- the opportunity at the AGM of having your council's motion debated
- the opportunity to nominate a representative for the Executive Committee of GAPTC and to raise issues with the committee
- affiliation to the National Association of Local Councils and thereby access to its services for you
- a direct link to NALC through our county representative
- a direct link to other County Associations which provides an information exchange, best practices and influence at NALC
- lobbying to MPs, district councils and central government on topics that concern councils
- engagement with districts on particular issues affecting their parishes
- engagement with the county council on issues affecting county-wide parishes